Type: Wood Steamer Length: 244.4 ft. x 35.6 ft. x 14.8 ft., 1108 gt. Depth: 35 ft. Location: DMS 47. 28' 17" / 87. 53' 15"
Salvage work was immediately undertaken by Captain Croze of Houghton, and much of the Wasaga's cargo was removed as well as her machinery, boilers and engines. The Wasaga had been built at Buffalo in 1876 as the steamer Wissahickon. She was renamed Wasa ga in 1907 after being sold to the Collingwood Shipping Company.
Today, the Wasaga's remains lie just off of the Harbor Haus Restaurant in Copper Harbor. Portions of her keel as well as miscellaneous cargo remain for divers to inspect. Visibility is usually about 40 ft. and water temperatures are in the 40s. The wre ck is best accessed by boat and the Copper Harbor Marina offers a convenient put-in site.
References: Milwaukee Public Library-Herman Runge Collection, Keweenaw Shipwrecks by Fred Stonehouse, Julius F. Wolff Jr.'s Lake Superior Shipwrecks, Divers Guide to Wisconsin by Steve Harrington